Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Techno-Whore Tendencies

So I find myself becoming one of these. It started out gradually and something I was able to stop for a long time. I was one of those people who was like "Naw I don't need the brand new techno gadget out there. I'm fine with my basic Nokia phone that just calls people."

Then it graduated to texting, which now is pretty much my chosen way of contacting people. Not that I don't mind talking to people directly; it's just that with my work schedule and what I need to do during the day before I go into work, sometimes it's catch as catch can. Anyways for awhile I went back when I had the pay as you go phone. The the hubby was like "Let's get a plan". Then we went to Sprint and then I had a basic walkie talkie phone. So I had calling, texting, and walkie talkie.

Then the first year and upgrade came and I got a Clutch (which is essence is really a crap-tacular phone that I did NOT recommend at all considering I've had it for about two years and it had to be replaced with a refurbished one twice....the second of which I had to pay for). But in our honeymoon period I adored my Clutch. I was able to get on Facebook; check my email as well as text and talk. It was amazing.

Then hubby asked "Do you want a Kindle?" for which I was resistance for a long time. Not necessarily becasue I'm anti e-book because in my opinion a book is a book. Whatever you read it online, on your computer, on a tablet or in paper format you're reading and that's a win in my column. Hell if you can stand to have people read to you, even listening to books on tape (or now CDs) is considered reading. It was because I thought it was too expensive (and it was at the time) and I couldn't imagine ever wanting to read a non-paper book. Then I saw my friend who had one and she kept waxing poetically about how awesome it and how much money she was saving on books. And I turned to my husband one day and was like "Yes I want one".

So I got it for Christmas and I adored it. Between all the freebies and just having the ability to browse Amazon books (provided there was a wireless signal) I was on it all...the...time.

Then they brought out the Fire and I was all o.0 I put off buying it forawhile since I never wanted to buy first generation anything. I've read places it leads to badness and bugs and kinks and complaining. No thank you. So I waited a few months and finally get one with the tax refund, thus securing my position in tech-whoredom. Why do you ask?

Because even though I use it for most everything, including readings (which was a surprise to me since I thought the backlit would hurt my eyes) and games and I can't put it down until it pretty much makes a duck noise to let me know it's drying....I won't give up my other Kindle.

/hangs head

I know. Most people are like "Why have both?" And the only thing I can think of is....I like it. I like having both and why not? They were both given to me and they're mine. Plus as much as I love the Fire...the battery life on it is only 8 hours. :( But the fact that even though I have a tablet that does the same thing as my Kindle does, I don't want to give it up even though I can only really read and browse the storefront on it. This is what secures me a position as a techno-whore.

Now when/if I get a new laptop (or notebookor whatever they're called now) I will be cemented into it because then I will be plugged in every which way. Then there would be no real need for a smartphone LOL. Maybe at least I can keep that part of me pure.

Who am I kidding? I really want a GTC or Galaxy. /facepalm

No comments:

Post a Comment